In this article we will help you to choose best family tent for camping trips. Camping tents (as they are often called) are large spacious tents intended for long-term residence of middle or large families (from 4 to 12 and more) in stationary camps. In fact and ideally it is mobile homes.
Where can you use your tent?
In 90% of cases, these are tents that are designed for use in the summer without constant strong winds and prolonged rains, and a long standing in direct sunlight. Only some of them are expedition camping tents designed as base camps for climbing, arctic regions, scientific researches or military expeditions. Such expedition tents are designed for year-round use anywhere in the world, strong winds, heavy snowfalls and other harsh extreme conditions.
Family tents are designed primarily for recreation in nature, auto-camping, trips to the sea, fishing, for children’s tourist and scout summer camps, trips to summer open-air festivals, courses and trainings, etc.
Design features of the best family tent
In the construction of family tents the main accent of manufacturers is on comfort, which is provided by:
- Large internal volume and height. As a rule, in these tents a tall person can stand without bending);
- Several sleeping compartments – rooms (one to three)
- large spacious tambours in which you can place everything you need for a long rest, equip a kitchen or even a mini-living room, where you can have fun with friends or children in the rare hours of bad weather;
- Efficient ventilation system. Please note, that usual on summer vacation you suffer not so much from constant rains as from the heat and stuffiness on hot summer nights. So when choosing a your best family tent, pay attention not to the watertightness of the tent, but primarily to the way in which it solved the issue with airing.
- Large number of various built-in small facilities: additional entrances, windows, pockets, shelves, etc;
- Large number of sections of the frame, increased thickness and strength
- Special reliable system of tent stretching and fixation, which ensures the stability of the family tent in bad weather;
- It should be understood that they are designed for the transportation by car, they are quite heavy.
Family tents due to their large size and weight, and a great number of carcass elements require careful installation which takes some time. As a rule, it is better to put such tents together in a certain sequence recommended by the manufacturer. One person is usually able to install such a tent only after repeated installation and with good weather, without wind and rain. Have this in mind and be sure to read the instructions for installation or training videos on the Internet before you go directly to the area.
I recommend before going on a vacation to conduct in the neighboring park or public garden a training session on installing your best family tent to check the equipment, all the arcs and ropes to avoid nervous unproductive swarming when you arrive at the campsite.
Since family tents have high sailing capacity (the ability to collect wind) because of their dimensions, it is highly desirable carefully choose the place where the tent will stand and then stretch it over with all the wind-ropes, which are provided accordingly to design. Check and adjust them at least once in 4-5 days and after each rain or bad weather.
I also recommend to set the tent in the shade if possible. The sun causes wearing of the fabric faster than moisture.
Choosing the best family tent
What is important to pay attention to?
Family tents are used mostly in summer, so better to choose models made of polyester. This material proved to be the most resistant to burning under direct sunlight. The watertightness of the tent should not be lower than 2000 mm of water column, and the bottom of the sleeping compartment must be at least 2000 mm too. Sleeping compartments with a bottom of reinforced polyethylene have a high water resistance rating, are heavier, but make the tent cheaper.
Family tent arches are made of increased thickness fiberglass (carbon fiber reinforced by plastic) at least 0.5″ in diameter or of duralumin with similar diameter. The first – cheaper, the second – more reliable, but more expensive.
If you need a tent for occasional trips 1-2 times a year, and you know for sure that there will be no particularly severe weather, you can safely buy an inexpensive tent with fiberglass arcs.
In a good family tent, there must be a sufficient number of ventilation windows located in the correct (from the physics point of view) places, and they must be equipped with additional anti-mosquito protection. The entrances to the sleeping compartments also must have mosquito net.
Great example of the high-quality family tent are Coleman tents. You can raise 8-Person 2-room tent in a few minutes, setup is very fast. Poles come preattached to tent, all you have to do is unfold, spread out, extend poles, click and lock into place.
Base measures 14′ by 10′; center height of 6′ 5″. To give an idea of how much room the tent provides, you can use a double-high, queen-size air mattress, and had plenty of room to walk on either side.
Weather Tec system with thick waterproof walls and welded floor prevents wetting. Two doors and seven windows perform great ventilation. There are no condensation inside the tent, even in damp mornings.